Town of Lloyd Historical Preservation Society
One of the treasures in the Historian's office is a beautiful brochure produced by one of our former Historians, Terri Scott. The "Self-guided Tour of Heritage Houses in Highland, New York" contains descriptions of three houses built by various Deyo's. I was curious how these Deyos might be related to each other and the original Deyo settlers of New Paltz.
The Deyo family in Ulster County began with Christian Deyo. He was not one of the original twelve Patentees of New Paltz, but his son Pierre was a Patentee and his four daughters married Patentees. Christian was known (even in official deeds) as "Granpere" because he was literally the grandfather of the majority of children in early New Paltz.
The Deyos of Highland descended from two of Pierre's sons, Abraham and Hendricus. The boys (and four other siblings) grew up in this house that Pierre built on Huguenot St.
Photo from Ralph LeFevre, History of New Paltz, p. 262
You maybe be more familiar with the way the house looks today, after a MAJOR remodel in 1894.
As children, grandchildren and great grandchildren were added to the family, descendants moved out of the village of New Paltz to the surrounding areas. Three Deyo descendants, Simeon, Hendricus and Henry, Jr., built stone houses in Highland, on the road now known as Vineyard Ave.
This diagram shows their place on the family tree:
Henry Deyo, Jr. House - 1775
It was later the home of three generations of town supervisors - Nathan Williams, his son, Winthrop Williams and his son, Nathan Williams.
Rear view of the house, circa 1945
Simon Deyo, Jr. House – 1779
Hendricus Deyo House – 1775
The house was acquired by Scenic Hudson in 2008 and conveyed to the Town of Lloyd Historical Preservation Society in 2015. Restoration work has begun.
Donations can be made here for continuing restoration to be made to the building, which will be a public museum and library
A wealth of information about the history of this house can be found in Deyo-Dubois - Existing Conditions Report, available in the Town Historian's office.